^Coefficient of friction
- Coefficient of friction is abbreviated by the symbol μ.
- It is a unit less dimensionless constant.
- Its value decides the extent of roughness or smoothness of two contact surfaces.
- Its value is low for smooth, wet & moving surfaces, and high for rough, dry & static surfaces.
- Generally μ < 1 but can be > 1 also. Coefficients of static (μs) & kinetic friction (μk) are experimentally obtained and depend entirely on the two interacting surfaces.
- It is independent of normal reaction & frictional force.